Monday 15 September 2014

The World Cup, Ireland and PROFT 2014

After yet another extended absence I am back with my blog. I keep promising myself I'll work on this with a certain regularity but it never seems to work out.

So just to re-cap the highlights of recent months:

I had a very busy pre-World Cup period, with clients trying to get everything put to bed before the "main event". The Brazilian national team were a flash in the pan, having struggled in the group phase against lesser opposition. The game against Germany was the wake-up call for Brazilian football. Look at the Brazilian championship - two teams, Cruzeiro and São Paulo, that's it. The others are poor supporting actors.

Little work during the WC, but if you go to Belo Horizonte and find a copy of the FIFA Supporters Guide, it's all my own work, although the name of the agency that hired me appears, not mine.

Things are kind of steadier now, but I still detect fits and starts. I don't see it changing much until after the elections.

Back in "the oul country", the Reverend Ian Paisley passed away last week. The firebrand, bible-thumping minister who swore never to share power with Nationalists(aka Sinn Fein) was a crucial figure in getting to a final peace agreement. When everyone had expected the moderate Unionists and the Nationalist SDLP to produce the goods, it was the more radical Sinn Fein and Mr. Paisley's radical DUP party that broke the deadlock.

Back to business, roll on PROFT 2014, where I'll be making a presentation and possibly running a workshop, too. The event takes place on December 12 and 13 at the Paulista Wall Street on Rua Itapeva 636. really looking forward to it.

Back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment